- Plan the procedures to avoid any interruption and to speed up the process:
- define the purpose of the testing and bring together the project team, with an emphasis on the project manager
- make a list of the documents to be included, the electronic formats to be used for these files, and existing platforms that will work with SharePoint (ERP/CMS/CRM systems)
- make sure you have a list of relevant access rights, business policies, and data protection requirements
2. Define the testing environment, including servers and networks, together with the requirements and the monitoring and reporting tools
3. Define the databases and test files that will be used and make sure these don’t breach security and confidentiality rules
4. Define the expected outcomes and success thresholds
5. Be sure you correctly understand bug triggers, communication between developers and testers is sufficient, documentation of past faults is rich
Testing SharePoint Functionality
- Information should be clean, up-to-date and easily searchable. Test cases should include at least adding, deleting, and updating elements.
- Each page should be tested. Test cases should include proper linking, including that on a page and linking to external pages or even other domains, and make sure there are no broken links or orphan pages.
- Make sure that the information transmitted through forms without being corrupted.
Testing SharePoint Compatibility
Testing should focus on OS compatibility, browser version compatibility, and add-in updates, including mobile browsing and any issues arising while using the build on a mobile device. Compatibility with peripherals should also be added in this step if there is a print option.
Testing SharePoint Performance
- The load test ensures the system is usable on different internet connection speeds and that it can be accessible during peak times.
- The web stress test aims to stretch the limits of the system up to its breaking point.
Testing SharePoint Security
- The files and directories should not be reachable directly
- A valid SSL certificate should be installed and running, notifying the user when they are about to leave a secure area.
Testing SharePoint Usability
Make sure the search option is available on every page and content is organized logically, following a hierarchical order.
Testing SharePoint Interface
Try resetting the connections during an operation to simulate a defect and understand how the program is handling these situations.
Users have possible problems raised by SharePoint’s native limits, such as:
- 2 GB max file size of lists and libraries
- 10MB max for Excel books
- 5,000 max group members
- 5,000 synced items in a library
- Up to 20,000 items in the OneDrive Business library, including files and folders